Location: Oulu, Finland [map link]
Student enrollment: There are still few vacant seats in all workshops that are filled on “first come first served” basis. Prospective students apply by submitting an application form for approval.
Registration fee: 300 EUR (at most, final registration fee may be lower depending on the amount of sponsorship money we manage to raise)
|Hox! Applicants, be sure to join our Facebook page, latest info will always be posted there.|
|NEW: Student referral contest|
|Tell a friend! We’ve launched a student referral contest, open for all students who have already applied for a seat in the summer school.
Here’s the deal: spread the word about the summer school to your friends and colleagues, have them mark YOU as the person who referred them to apply (there’s now a field in the application form), and win a handsome prize! The student with most accepted referred students will claim a surprise reward at one of the (many) parties during the summer school.
We don’t know what the prize is just yet, but trust as, it’ll be good 🙂
So get to referring!
The 2nd International UBI Summer School 2011 will be held in Oulu, Finland, on May 23-28, 2011. The purpose of the summer school is to provide young researchers with an opportunity to gain hands on experience and insight on selected topics on the multidisciplinary fields of ubiquitous and urban computing under the tutelage of distinguished experts.
The summer school builds on the highly successful legacy of the 1st International UBI Summer School 2010held in Oulu on May 31 – June 4, 2010. It comprised of six parallel workshops that enrolled 72 students from 20 countries.
The 2011 summer school comprises of five four parallel workshops:
- A: Open Pervasive Display Networks by Dr. Adrian Friday, Lancaster University, UK
- CANCELLED B: Urban Mobility Analysis by Prof. Vassilis Kostakos, University of Madeira, Portugal
- C: Personal Projectors for Pervasive Computing by Prof. Enrico Rukzio, University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany
- D: Embedded Web Services by Chief Nerd Zach Shelby, Sensinode Ltd., Finland
- E: Social and Cultural Aspects of New Media by Prof. Leopoldina Fortunati, University of Udine, Italy
Up to 16 students will be enrolled to each workshop in two phases:
CLOSED 1. Open international call with application deadline on March 15, 2011. Each prospective student has to submit an application. Selected students will be notified by March 22, 2011, and they have to confirm their enrollment via registration by March 31, 2011 (including payment of registration fee).
2. Filling of any remaining vacant seats on “first come first served” basis. Prospective students apply by submitting an application form for approval.
Status of student enrollment on March 16: There are few vacant seats in all four workshops. If you are interested in attending the summer school, please submit your application for approval.